Business law firm RTPR Allen & Overy announces the strengthening of its competition, dispute resolution and IP practices, with the appointment of Valentin Berea as partner, together with a team of three lawyers.
“Valentin is one of the most respected litigation and competition lawyers and we are delighted to have him join us. As colleagues for several years with both Valentin and Professor Lucian Mihai, at Linklaters, we are delighted to find ourselves again in a successful team” Costin Tărăcilă, managing partner of RTPR Allen & Overy said.
“Valentin Berea is one of the most talented young lawyers I have worked with. I know him from the seminars and classes from the Faculty of Law, when he was a brilliant student, from the time of his internship, when I was his mentor, as well as from working with him for several years in the Civil Law department of our faculty. Bringing him into the company created by the four partners of RTPR, with whom I also previously worked with at "Linklaters, Miculiti, Mihai & Asociatii", is a professional development which makes me very happy and will ensure our continued professional success”, Prof Lucian Mihai said.
With extremely diverse experience in his field, Valentin Berea distinguished himself by winning some of the most notable anti-trust litigation cases. For example, Valentin, together with his team, succeeded in obtaining in court the first significant reduction (of over 80%) of a fine imposed by the Competition Council (on the insulin trading market), based on a mitigating circumstance, which set a precedent of reducing in court the fines imposed by the competition authority.
In addition to his contentious and non-contentious work in competition law matters, Valentin distinguished himself with his successful involvement in many commercial disputes and important arbitrations (including ICC arbitrations). Valentin is a certified intellectual property counsellor and an Assisting Professor at the Bucharest Law University. “I am pleased to join a team of lawyers whom I appreciate very much. Along with some of them, I started my career more than 12 years ago, and we remained friends throughout this period. I am also very delighted to be working again with Professor Lucian Mihai, who made a decisive contribution to my training as a lawyer. The existence of this history and common values, coupled with the professional skills that we have developed and proven so far, are strong arguments which give me every confidence that together we will be a formidable team”, Valentin Berea said.
RTPR was founded in 2004 and has been working in association with the international law firm Allen & Overy LLP, headquartered in London, since 2008. RTPR Allen & Overy has 43 lawyers including 5 partners: Costin Taracila, Victor Padurari, Alexandru Retevoescu, Mihai Ristici, Valentin Berea and Professor Lucian Mihai, of counsel.
RTPR Allen & Overy’s main areas of activity are: financing, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, insolvency and restructuring, competition, labour law, intellectual property law, litigation and arbitration, and providing advice across a range of business sectors including energy, telecommunications, finance, real estate and the pharmaceutical industry.
Note to the editors:
1. Allen & Overy is an international legal practice with approximately 5,000 staff, including some 525 partners, working in 43 major cities in 30 countries.
2. RTPR was incorporated in 2004 and has been working in association with Allen & Overy since 2008. RTPR Allen & Overy has a team of 43 lawyers, including 5 partners: Costin Tărăcilă, Victor Pădurari, Alexandru Retevoescu, Mihai Ristici, Valentin Berea and also Prof Dr Lucian Mihai, of counsel.
3. In this press release, “Allen & Overy” means Allen & Overy LLP and/or its affiliated undertakings.
4. In this press release, “RTPR Allen & Overy” means Radu Tărăcilă Pădurari Retevoescu SCA in association with Allen & Overy LLP.
5. Allen & Overy has been operating in the CEE region since 1991, when its first office opened in Warsaw. Since then, it has expanded its operations to include Prague, Budapest, Bucharest, Bratislava and Moscow, all of which are renowned in the market for top quality legal advice combined with local commercial understanding, as well as for their integrity and their pro-active approach to matters. Additionally, Allen & Overy signed an exclusive association with the leading full-service Romanian law firm Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA (RTPR), effective from July 2008, expanding the number of CEE offices in which we are able to provide local law advice to six.