Clifford Chance Badea reconfirmed its Tier 1 rank for Banking & Finance, Capital Markets and Project Finance, while also seeing its strong Corporate M&A practice moving from Tier 2 to Tier 1 in the latest IFLR 1000 Financial & Corporate ranking.
The Firm's leading lawyers named by the international guide are Daniel Badea, Managing Partner (Banking, Capital markets: Debt, Capital markets: Derivatives, Corporate and M&A , Energy and infrastructure, Project finance, Real estate finance), Nadia Badea, Partner (Corporate and M&A, Competition), Madalina Rachieru, Partner (Capital Markets), and Andreea Sisman, Counsel (Energy and infrastructure, PPP/PFI, Project development, Capital markets). Associate Raluca Coman is also praised for her work in the Banking and Finance practice.
"The firm's portfolio contributing to this performance includes highly complex and strategic deals that we have assisted over the past year in all practice areas," Daniel Badea, Managing Partner, said. "We are honoured to be reconfirmed among the leaders of the legal services sector, as we constantly aim to assist our clients to the best of our capabilities, while also setting best practices standards at a regional level."
According to IFLR1000, Clifford Chance Badea is "one of the preeminent international firms in the Romanian market particularly in finance matters - Banking, Project Finance and Capital Markets. The firm's network and ability to offer client more than just Romania law are clearly positive attributes."
Work credited in the ranking includes major deals for each practice area:Banking & Finance
- The 145-million RON syndicated loan taken out by Energomontaj, with the legal firm assisting the banks consortium led by BRD Group Societe Generale (March 2015);
- The refinancing of the TCI building by GlobalWorth Real Estate, a 30-million Euro deal with the legal firm acting for Banca Comerciala Romana (October 2014);
- Legal assistance for Deutsche Bank in the acquisition of a large non-performing loans portfolio originated by Volksbank Romania (July 2014).
- Legal advice for one of the bidders for the contract to finance and construct the Tarnița - Lăpuștești Hydropower Plant near Cluj, which has an estimated cost of 1.2 billion Euro.
- Legal advice to the lending parties in the Comarnic-Brasov motorway project.
- Legal advice for the IFC and the Moldovan Government on a PPP project for the construction of an oncology centre in the Republican Hospital in Chisinau.
- Legal advice for Fondul Proprietatea on its secondary listing of GDRs on the London Stock Exchange (April 2015);
- The 444-million dual listing of Electrica in London and Bucharest, with the firm advising on the bank side (June 2014);
- Legal advice to the joint lead manager banks on a 1.5 billion Euro notes issue by the Romanian Government under its EMTN programme (October 2014).
- Buy-side assistance in the acquisition of grain terminal owner United Shipping Agency (USA) by commodity trader Nidera (January 2015);
- Buy-side assistance in the acquisition of a 16% stake in Austrian real estate company CA Immo by the O1 Group (October 2014);
- Legal advice for Mondelez International on the combination of its global coffee business with DB Master Blends (May 2014);
- Legal advice for Czech property developer CTP on three acquisitions on the local logistics market (Mercury Logistics Park, Cefin Arad, and Deva Logistics Park) (2015);
- Legal advice for private equity fund Abris Capital Partners on its acquisition of delivery business Urgent Curier (June 2014) and a stake in the Pehart group of companies, the main tissue paper manufacturer in Romania (April 2015).
Clifford Chance has been present in Romania since 2006 and operates now as Clifford Chance Badea. The Bucharest office is frequently involved in complex transactions such as syndicated loans, project finance, restructurings, Eurobonds and shares issues on international capital markets, derivatives, companies' acquisitions by strategic investors or private equity funds, infrastructure and motorway projects, real estate investments etc., as well as domestic and international litigation and arbitration.
In the most recent editions of Legal500, Chambers Global and IFLR1000, Clifford Chance Badea ranks first (Tier 1) among law firms in Romania under the section of Banking & Finance and Capital Markets. It also has a strong Corporate and M&A practice, ranked Tier 1 by IFLR1000 Financial & Corporate 2015-2016, and Tier 2 by Legal 500 and Chambers Global. IFLR1000 also ranks the law firm as Tier 1 for Project Finance and has twice in a row awarded Clifford Chance Badea with the National Law Firm of the Year in Romania Award at the IFLR's Europe Awards, in 2014 and 2015.
Notes to Editors:
1. Clifford Chance is one of the world's pre-eminent law firms with significant depth and range of resources across five continents. As a single, fully integrated, global partnership, we pride ourselves on our approachable, collegiate and team based way of working. We always strive to exceed the expectations of our clients, which include corporates from all the commercial and industrial sectors, governments, regulators, trade bodies and not for profit organisations. We provide them with the highest quality advice and legal insight, which combines the Firm's global standards with in-depth local expertise.
2. Clifford Chance was ranked 'tier one' in more cross-border tables than any other firm in the Chambers Global 2015 Directory. This independent analysis focuses on firms' legal ability, professional conduct, client service, and commercial awareness, and these rankings provide outstanding recognition for the Firm's breadth of expertise and consistency of quality across global markets.
For further details about Clifford Chance, please access www.cliffordchance.com
For further information related to this press release, please contact:
Ana-Maria Gavrilă, Head of Communications
; tel: +40 21 6666 143+40 21 6666 143
; mobile: +40 756 012 264