Clifford Chance Badea expands its Corporate M&A and Real Estate practice by recruiting Mihai Măcelaru as Counsel, starting February 15.
Mihai has more than 13 years of experience with top law firms, including a partner position in an international law firm, specializing in complex merger and acquisition deals, joint-ventures and privatizations on the capital markets. Over the years, he has been involved, among others, in some of the most important deals in Romania, in areas such as real estate, telecommunications, medical services, food, retail, and the auto parts industries.
"Our number 1 priority is to constantly provide our clients with the highest professional standards of legal services, with the help of the best team of lawyers in the markets," said Nadia Badea, Clifford Chance Partner and head of the Corporate M&A and Real Estate practice in Bucharest. "We appreciate Mihai's professionalism and experience, since we have had the chance to work together, in recent years, and we are glad that he has decided to join us. I trust he will bring an important contribution to our team by coordinating representative projects for the M&A practice, and for the firm, overall."
Mihai Măcelaru adds: "I am taking over this new role with enthusiasm and determination, knowing the complexity of deals Clifford Chance is working on and the professional standards the firm complies with. I know I will bring value to an already established international and local practice, while also anticipating the gains in experience and knowledge attached to me joining one of the most dynamic and innovative team of lawyers in the world."
His portfolio in recent years includes, among others:
- acquisition by Japanese group Nidec of ANA IMEP Pitești, a Romanian appliance motor manufacturer;
- sale of Baumax Romanian stores to French group Adeo (Leroy Merlin);
- acquisition by Deutsche Telekom AG of Polish telecommunications services operator GTS Central Europe, also operating in Romania;
- Transelectrica's privatization through a secondary public offering of a minority stake owned by the state, on the Bucharest Stock Exchange.
Mihai Măcelaru graduated Law School – Bucharest University in 2003 and is a member of the Bucharest Bar.
Clifford Chance ranks number 1 among international law firms, according to Chambers Global Top 30 2016, and has a solid and integrated Corporate M&A and Real Estate practice. Last year, its portfolio gain recognition for the firm as the European M&A Legal Adviser of the Year at the MergerMarket Awards.
Recently, Clifford Chance Romania has:
• Advised BC Partners, an investment fund in the final acquisition stage of a 100% stake in retailer Profi – the largest private equity investment in Romania (2016).
• Advised New Europe Property Investments plc. (NEPI) in its merger with investment fund Rockcastle, which resulted into the largest CEE retail real estate company, and one of the top in continental Europe. The deal was coordinated by the Bucharest office (2016);
• Advised a private equity fund in relation to the acquisition of SABMiller operations in Central and Eastern Europe (2016);
• Advised private equity fund Abris Capital Partners on the acquisition of Romanian waste-management business Green Group, the largest integrated recycling group in South-Eastern Europe (2016);
• Advised CEE-focused private equity fund Innova Capital in connection with the sale of Provus, a Romanian leading payment processing and technological service provider, to Wirecard AG, and in connection with the sale of La Fantana, the leading provider of water coolers and coffee machines, to previous owners - private equity fund Oresa Ventures (2016).
• Advised CBRE Global Investors in connection with the sale of a retail portfolio of 11 properties in Romania, Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary (including the Felicia commercial centre in Iasi) to CPI Property Group (2016).
Clifford Chance has been present in Romania since 2006 and operates now as Clifford Chance Badea. The Bucharest office is fully integrated in the global network and is frequently involved in complex transactions such as syndicated loans, project finance, restructurings, Eurobonds and shares issues on international capital markets, derivatives, companies' acquisitions by strategic investors or private equity funds, infrastructure and motorway projects, real estate investments etc., as well as domestic and international litigation and arbitration.
In the most recent editions of Legal500, Chambers Global and IFLR1000, Clifford Chance Badea ranks first (Tier 1) among law firms in Romania under the section of Banking & Finance and Capital Markets. It also has a strong Corporate and M&A practice, ranked Tier 1 by IFLR1000 Financial & Corporate 2015-2016, and Tier 2 by Legal 500 and Chambers Global.
Notes to Editors:
1. Clifford Chance is one of the world's pre-eminent law firms with significant depth and range of resources across five continents. As a single, fully integrated, global partnership, we pride ourselves on our approachable, collegiate and team based way of working. We always strive to exceed the expectations of our clients, which include corporates from all the commercial and industrial sectors, governments, regulators, trade bodies and not for profit organisations. We provide them with the highest quality advice and legal insight, which combines the Firm's global standards with in-depth local expertise.
2. Clifford Chance was ranked 'tier one' in more cross-border tables than any other firm in the Chambers Global 2016 Directory. This independent analysis focuses on firms' legal ability, professional conduct, client service, and commercial awareness, and these rankings provide outstanding recognition for the Firm's breadth of expertise and consistency of quality across global markets.
For further details about Clifford Chance, please access www.cliffordchance.com.
For further information related to this press release, please contact:
Ana-Maria Gavrilă, Head of Communications
tel: +40 21 6666 143; mobile: +40 756 012 264