Last night, 27th September, during the 8th edition of Lawyers’ Gala organised by Ziarul Financiar, RTPR Allen & Overy won two awards for the largest transactions in 2016, namely the Largest Deal of the Year in the Retail sector and Largest Deal of the Year in the Medical services sector.
The awards were granted for advising Enterprise Investors on the sale of Profi to Mid Europa Partners – the largest transaction in the retail sector, respectively for assisting Raiffeisen Bank S.A. and Wood & Company Financial Services a.s., as managers on the intermediation of MedLife’s IPO – the largest transaction in the medical services sector.
“The sale of Profi is the most successful retail deal in Enterprise Investors’ history and the transaction that put Romania on the map of the world’s biggest private equity funds and we are honoured to have been part of this success story. This is the second time we sold Profi, 8 years ago we also assisted the seller in a very competitive process and watched how Profi successfully managed to transform from a private business into a corporation benefitting from a mix of a very strong financial investor who also had impressive expertise in the retail sector and an exceptional management team. This management team supported by Mid Europa Partners has all the circumstances to create a Romanian unicorn (i.e. a company valued at over EUR 1 billion) and we wish them the best of luck.”, Costin Taracila, Managing Partner of RTPR Allen & Overy declared.
“We have been teaming up with Enterprise Investors for top projects for many years and thus we were honoured to have been part in what we dare to call the undeniable star of all deals so far. The sale of Profi, the largest deal ever completed by a private equity fund in Romania and the largest deal in the retail sector in the country’s history, the acquisition of Noriel by Enterprise Investors, as well as another 11 private equity deals we assisted in 2016 prove once again Romania’s appeal for financial investors, as well as RTPR Allen & Overy’s position as leader of this market.”, Roxana Ionescu, Counsel at RTPR Allen & Overy declared.
MedLife’s IPO was coordinated by Loredana Chitu (Boeru), Counsel, who declared: “A flattering award for a pioneering deal – MedLife’s listing has shown that privatisations are not the only stars of the stock exchange and that a private company can be successfully listed, benefiting from an appropriate mix of factors (among which a visionary entrepreneur, an issuer with a similarly attractive business, sophisticated sellers, two excellent intermediaries, but also top advisers). I hope and trust we will continue to have the privilege to work on this kind of benchmark deals.”
Apart from the two awards, RTPR Allen & Overy was nominated with a total number of 6 deals, the other 4 nominations were in the following categories:
• the largest transaction in the energy sector: nomination for advising Allianz Capital Partners on the acquisition of a 30% stake in E.ON Distributie Romania. RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the buyer.
• the largest transaction in the FMCG sector: nomination for advising Asahi on the acquisition of Ursus Breweries in a regional deal. RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the buyer; this is the largest M&A deal by value in CEE in 2016.
• the largest transaction in the IT&C, media and online: nomination for Logo Software’s acquisition of TotalSoft. RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the seller, South Eastern European Fund.
• the largest transaction in the medical services sector: nomination for Regina Maria’s acquisition of Ponderas hospital. In this transaction RTPR Allen & Overy assisted the buyer.
RTPR was founded in 2004 and has been working in association with the London based international law firm Allen & Overy LLP since 2008. RTPR Allen & Overy has 45 lawyers, including 5 partners: Costin Tărăcilă, Victor Pădurari, Alexandru Retevoescu, Mihai Ristici, Valentin Berea and Professor Lucian Mihai, Of counsel.
RTPR Allen & Overy’s main areas of activity are: financing, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, insolvency and restructuring, competition, labour law, intellectual property law, litigation and arbitration, and providing advice across a range of business sectors including energy, telecommunications, finance, real estate and the pharmaceutical industry.
Note to the editors:
1. Allen & Overy is an international legal practice with approximately 5,400 staff, including some 554 partners, working in 44 major cities worldwide.
2. RTPR was incorporated in 2004 and has been working in association with Allen & Overy since 2008. RTPR Allen & Overy has a team of 45 lawyers, including 5 partners: Costin Tărăcilă, Victor Pădurari, Alexandru Retevoescu, Mihai Ristici, Valentin Berea and also Prof Dr Lucian Mihai, Of counsel.
3. In this press release, “Allen & Overy” means Allen & Overy LLP and/or its affiliated undertakings.
4. In this press release, “RTPR Allen & Overy” means Radu Tărăcilă Pădurari Retevoescu SCA in association with Allen & Overy LLP.
5. Allen & Overy has been operating in the CEE region since 1991, when its first office opened in Warsaw. Since then, it has expanded its operations to include Prague, Budapest, Bucharest, Bratislava and Moscow, all of which are renowned in the market for top quality legal advice combined with local commercial understanding, as well as for their integrity and their pro-active approach to matters. Additionally, Allen & Overy signed an exclusive association with the leading full-service Romanian law firm Radu Tărăcilă Pădurari Retevoescu SCA (RTPR), effective from July 2008, expanding the number of CEE offices in which we are able to provide local law advice to six.